B.Sc., Ph.D., D.Sc. (UNSW), Dip. Ed. (Monash), FRACI, C. Chem.
Born 1943, Postdoctoral Fellow in Organic Chemistry, University of New Orleans, 1969-1970; Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Organic Chemistry, University of New South Wales, 1970-1971; Senior Tutor in Chemistry at Monash University, 1971-1976; Professional Officer, Organic Chemistry Mass Spectrometry Unit, UNSW, 1976-1990; Project Scientist, 1991-1994; Senior Project Scientist, 1994-2003; Honorary Visiting Fellow/Senior Visiting Fellow, 2003-present.
Member of the Standards Australia Committee on Essential Oils (CH/21); Member of the editorial board of Journal of Essential Oil Research.
Essential oils chemistry, particularly of the Australian Myrtaceae and Rutaceae and the more primitive families - the oil's relationship to the botany of the species. Insect chemistry; Natural product chemistry.
- Boland, D.J., Brophy, J.J. and House, A.P.N. (Eds.) Eucalyptus oils: Use, Chemistry, Distillation and Marketing. Inkata Press, Melbourne. (1991).
- Brophy, J.J. and Doran, J.C. Essential Oils of Tropical Asteromyrtus, Callistemon and Melaleuca Species. ACIAR Monograph No. 40. Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra, 144pp (1996).
- Brophy, J.J., Clezy, P.S., Leung, C.W.F. and Robertson, P.L. Secondary amines from the venom gland of the Dolichoderine ant Technomyrmes albipes. J. Chem. Ecol. 19: 2183-2192 (1993).
- Brophy, J.J., Goldsack, R.J., Wu., M.Z., Fookes, C.J.R. and Forster, P.I. The chemistry of the Australian Gymnosperms. Part 2. The steam volatile oil of Wollemia nobilis and its comparison with other members of the Araucariaceae. Biochem. Syst. Ecol., 28, 563-578 (2000).
- Ireland, B.F., Hibbert, D.B., Goldsack, R.J., Doran, J.C. and Brophy, J.J., Chemical variation in the leaf oil of Melaleuca quinquenervia (Cav.) S.T. Blake. Biochem. Syst. Ecol., 30, 457-470 (2002).
- Brophy, J.J., Craig, D.C., Goldsack, R.J., Fookes, C.J.R., Leach, D.N. and Waterman, P.G., Triumphalone, a novel diketone from the volatile oil of the leaves of Melaleuca triumphalis, and its conversion into isotriumphalone. Phytochemistry, 67, 2085-2089 (2006).
- Palá-Paúl. J., Copeland, L, M., Brophy, J.J. and Goldsack, R.J., Essential oil composition of Eryngium paludosum (Moore & Betche) P.W.Michael: an endemic species from eastern Australia. J. Essent. Oil Res., 20, 416-410 (2008).
- Brophy, J.J., Buchanan, A., Copeland, L.M., Dimitriadis, E., Goldsack, R.J. and Hibbert, D.B., Diffferentiation between the two subspecies of Atherosperma moschatum Labill. (Atherospermataceae) from their leaf oils. Biochem. Syst. Ecol.. 37, 479-483 (2009).
- Hnawia, E., Brophy, J.J., Craven, L.A., Lebouvier, N., Cabalion, P., Nour, M., An examination of the leaf essential oils of the endemic Melaleuca (Myrtaceae) species of New Caledonia. J. Essent. Oil Res., 24, 273-278 (2012).
- Brophy, J.J., Craven, L.A. and Doran, J.C., Melaleucas: Their botany, essential oils and uses. ACIAR monograph No. 156, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, Canberra, 415pp (2013). This book is available on the ACIAR website or from the UNSW Bookshop.