Lecturer and First-Year Academic Coordinator
Phone: +612 9385 4474
Fax: +612 9385 6141
Room 130, Dalton Building
UNSW Kensington 2052
Research Group Website
Born 1979. Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours Class 1 and University Medal), The University of Sydney, 1997-2000. Ph.D. in Chemistry, The University of Sydney, 2001-2004. Postdoctoral researcher, The University of Melbourne, 2005. Postdoctoral researcher, The University of St Andrews (UK), 2005-2008. Postdoctoral researcher, UNSW, 2008. University of Sydney Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 2009-2011. Appointed Lecturer in Chemistry, UNSW, 2011.
Natural products, peptides and organofluorine chemistry.
Fluorine is a small element that packs a big punch. When fluorine atoms are incorporated into organic molecules, they can have a dramatic impact on the substances' physical and chemical properties. In the Hunter group we are particularly interested in using fluorine atoms to control molecular conformation (a kind of "molecular origami"). We produce novel bioactive molecules that are constrained into optimal 3D shapes, controlled by the precise positioning of fluorine atoms. For details of current projects please see the research group website.
For a complete list see the research group website.
- Hunter L., "α,β-Difluoro-γ-amino acids: synthesis and applications," Chimica Oggi 2012, 30, 20.
- Wang Z., Hunter L., "Synthesis of difluorinated β- and γ-amino acids: investigation of a challenging deoxyfluorination reaction," Journal of Fluorine Chemistry 2012, in press.
- Yamamoto I., Jordan M. J. T., Gavande N., Doddareddy M. R., Chebib M., Hunter L., "The enantiomers of syn-2,3-difluoro-4-aminobutyric acid elicit opposite responses at the GABAC receptor," Chemical Communications, 2012, 48, 829. [link]
- Hunter L., Chung J. H. "Total synthesis of unguisin A," Journal of Organic Chemistry 2011, 76, 5502.
- Hunter L., Jolliffe K. A., Jordan M. J. T., Jensen P., Macquart R. B., "Synthesis and conformational analysis of α,β-difluoro-γ-amino acid derivatives," Chemistry: A European Journal 2011, 17, 2340.
- Hunter L., Condie G. C., Harding M. M., "Reversible aqueous metathesis reactions for potential application in dynamic combinatorial chemistry," Tetrahedron Letters 2010, 51, 5064.
- Hunter L., "The C-F bond as a conformational tool in organic and biological chemistry," Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry 2010, 6, doi: 10.3762/bjoc.6.38. [ONE OF THE TOP 10 MOST-ACCESSED BJOC ARTICLES FOR 2010]
- Hunter L., Kirsch P., Slawin A. M. Z., O'Hagan D., "Synthesis and structure of stereoisomeric multi-vicinal hexafluoroalkanes," Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2009, 48, 5457.
- Hunter L., Kirsch P., Hamilton J. T. G., O'Hagan D., "The multi-vicinal fluoroalkane motif: an examination of 2,3,4,5-tetrafluorohexane stereoisomers," Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 2008, 6, 3105.
- Hunter L., O'Hagan D., "Multi-vicinal fluoroalkanes: a new class of organofluorine compounds," Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 2008, 6, 2843. [FRONT COVER ARTICLE]
- Hunter L., Kirsch P., Slawin A. M. Z., O'Hagan D., "Synthesis and conformation of multi-vicinal fluoroalkane diastereoisomers," Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2007, 46, 7887.
- Hunter L., Slawin A. M. Z., O'Hagan D., "Enantioselective synthesis of an all-syn four vicinal fluorine motif," Journal of the American Chemical Society 2006, 128, 16422.